Hohenschwangau Castle

Garmish27.jpgGarmish28.jpgGarmish29.jpgGarmish30.jpgGarmish31.jpgGarmish32.jpgGarmish33.jpgGarmish34.jpgGarmish35.jpgGarmish36.jpgGarmish37.jpgGarmish38.jpgc4-Edelweiss2014 133.jpgc13-Edelweiss2014 101.jpgc17-Edelweiss2014 122.jpgc28-Edelweiss2014 110.jpgc33-Edelweiss2014 111.jpgc100-Edelweiss2014 130.jpgc37-Edelweiss2014 129.jpgc41-Edelweiss2014 126.jpgc41-Edelweiss2014 96.jpgc47-Edelweiss2014 106.jpgc53-Edelweiss2014 105.jpgc64-Edelweiss2014 100.jpgc64-Edelweiss2014 114.jpgc66-Edelweiss2014 98.jpgc70-Edelweiss2014 109.jpgc84-Edelweiss2014 117.jpgc87-Edelweiss2014 107.jpgc91-Edelweiss2014 121.jpgc93-Edelweiss2014 102.jpgc93-Edelweiss2014 116.jpgc97-Edelweiss2014 103.jpgIMG_7231.jpgIMG_7162.jpg

Hohenschwangau Castle was mentioned the first time in records of the 12th century.

Until the 16th century its owners were the knights of Schwangau. During the following time it changed hands a couple of times and was partially destroyed during different wars.

In 1832 the later King Maximilian II., father of King Ludwig II., acquired the ruin and had the castle rebuilt according to original plans. After its completion it used to be the summer and hunting residence of the Bavarian royal family. In his whole life, the famous Bavarian King Ludwig II. spent a few weeks each summer in Hohenschwangau.

Since 1928 the Wilttelsbacher Ausgleichsfonds owns Hohenschwangau Castle.