Lichtenberg Castle

untitled (17).jpguntitled (18).jpgLichtenburg 1.jpgLichtenburg 10.jpgLichtenburg 11.jpgLichtenburg 12.jpgLichtenburg 13.jpgLichtenburg 14.jpgLichtenburg 15.jpgLichtenburg 16.jpgLichtenburg 17.jpgLichtenburg 18.jpgLichtenburg 19.jpgLichtenburg 2.jpgLichtenburg 20.jpgLichtenburg 21.jpgLichtenburg 22.jpgLichtenburg 23.jpgLichtenburg 24.jpgLichtenburg 25.jpgLichtenburg 26.jpgLichtenburg 27.jpgLichtenburg 28.jpgLichtenburg 29.jpgLichtenburg 3.jpgLichtenburg 30.jpgLichtenburg 31.jpgLichtenburg 32.jpgLichtenburg 33.jpgLichtenburg 34.jpgLichtenburg 35.jpgLichtenburg 36.jpgLichtenburg 37.jpgLichtenburg 38.jpgLichtenburg 39.jpgLichtenburg 4.jpgLichtenburg 40.jpgLichtenburg 41.jpgLichtenburg 42.jpgLichtenburg 43.jpgLichtenburg 44.jpgLichtenburg 45.jpgLichtenburg 47.jpgLichtenburg 48.jpgLichtenburg 49.jpgLichtenburg 5.jpgLichtenburg 50.jpgLichtenburg 51.jpgLichtenburg 52.jpgLichtenburg 53.jpgLichtenburg 54.jpgLichtenburg 55.jpgLichtenburg 56.jpgLichtenburg 57.jpgLichtenburg 58.jpgLichtenburg 59.jpgLichtenburg 6.jpgLichtenburg 60.jpgLichtenburg 61.jpgLichtenburg 7.jpgLichtenburg 8.jpgLichtenburg 9.jpg

The castle was built around 1200 and was owned until 1444 by the counts of Veldenz; after which it fell into the ownership of the new dukedom of Palatinate-Zweibrücken. Under the new rule, Lichtenberg Castle became the administrative seat of Zweibrücken until the move of the administration to Kusel in 1758. The castle remained under the duchy until the dissolution of the Duchy of Zweibrücken in 1792.

The part of Germany west of the Rhine river was occupied by French Revolution troops in 1792, and in 1795, the French dissolved the old borders and created new administrative districts, placing Lichtenberg Castle in the Saar Department. The town of Kusel was burnt down by French revolution troops in 1794. Lichtenberg Castle was plundered numerous times during the ensuing chaos that came with the French occupation, and in 1799, a fire caused by the castle’s inhabitants destroyed much of the castle.

With the defeat of French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte and the subsequent withdrawal of French troops from Germany, in 1816 the area west of the Rhine was given to the Duke of Saxony-Coburg-Gotha and became the Princedom of Lichtenberg. However, this rule was short-lived, and in 1834 the princedom was sold to Prussia. Lichtenberg Castle fell into disrepair and ruin until, in 1895, the whole castle complex was placed under historical monument protection. At the end of the second World War the Prussian government fell, and in 1945 the district of Birkenfeld, in which Lichtenberg Castle lay, became a part of the new state of Rhineland-Palatinate.

In 1971 the castle was turned over from Rhineland-Palatinate to the district of Kusel, and restoration work began. Some of the restorations include the reconstruction of the tithe barn and the repair and roofing of the mountain keep.